The Topeka Capital-Journal is a daily newspaper in Topeka, Kansas owned by Morris Communications.

History

The paper was formed following a series of mergers including the eventual merger of the Topeka Daily Capital and Topeka State Journal and numerous name changes:

  • 1858: Kansas State Record starts publishing
  • 1873: Topeka Blade founded by J. Clarke Swayze
  • 1879: George W. Reed buys the Blade and changes it name to Kansas State Journal.
  • 1879: Topeka Daily Capital founded by Major J.K. Hudson as an evening paper but changes to morning in 1881. Its press is claimed to be the first electric motor press in the United States
  • 1885: Frank P. MacLennan buys Journal and renames it Topeka State Journal
  • 1888: Capital absorbs the Commonwealth, owned by Floyd Perry Baker and his sons, which had earlier bought the Kansas State Record
  • 1899: Frederick Oliver Popenoe buys a 51 percent controlling interest in the Capital.
  • 1900: Charles M. Sheldon, saying that "newspapers should be operated as Christ would operate them," sends the Capital circulation skyrocketing from 12,000 to 387,000 forcing it to print papers in New York and Chicago
  • 1901: Arthur Capper buys Capital and become sole owner in 1904
  • 1940: Oscar S. Stauffer buys the Journal
  • 1951: Capper dies and the Capital become employee owned