Instant Mom is an American sitcom developed by Howard Michael Gould and starring Tia Mowry-Hardrict (also seen in Sister, Sister) as a stepmother of three children alongside her husband. The series airs on Nick at Nite and TV Land that originally aired from September 29, 2013 to December 19, 2015. it produced the block's best debut ratings in the channel's history. On November 22, 2013, the series was renewed for a second season of 20 episodes (+3 unaired from Season 1). The series was renewed for third season on September 9, 2014. Nickelodeon announced on October 21, 2015 that Instant Mom would not extend beyond its third season and would end its run with the 65 episodes produced.
Set in Philadelphia, Stephanie Phillips is a food blogger and party girl, who has to drastically tone down her lifestyle when she marries Charlie Phillips, an older man with three children. She now has to be a mother to Charlie's teenage daughter, Gabrielle, and his grade school-age sons James and Aaron. Stephanie has to quickly learn how to be a full-time stepmom with the help of her overbearing mother, Maggie, while attempting to keep her social life active.
Cast and characters
- Stephanie Turner-Phillips (Tia Mowry-Hardrict) is the new step-mom and trying to be the best that she can be. She is a food blogger and a party girl.
- Charlie Phillips (Michael Boatman) is Stephanie's older husband who is a doctor and the father of three children by his first wife.
- Maggie Turner (Sheryl Lee Ralph) Stephanie's mom who is trying to make Stephanie a better mom by butting into her personal life when in a family crisis Stephanie isn't used to.
- Gabrielle "Gabby" Beatrice Phillips (Sydney Park) is the eldest sibling and only daughter of Stephanie and Charlie. She is 15 years old and just like many other teenage girls, she is very fashion-conscious. She is also a very smart honor student. She is known as the unimaginably smart, pretty, popular, talented, funny, and stylish person ever.
- James Phillips (Tylen Jacob Williams) the middle sibling of Gabby and Aaron. He is known as the trickster of the family and trying to pull pranks. He doesn't admit it, but is envious of Gabby's superiority and tries to pull pranks on her, but not before having them redirected at him.
- Aaron Phillips (Damarr Calhoun) the youngest sibling of Gabby and James. He is seen as the boy who acts the cutest one of the family.
|First aired||Last aired|
|23||September 29, 2013||June 12, 2014|
|16||October 2, 2014||June 3, 2015|
|26||September 19, 2015||December 19, 2015|
On August 3, 2012, Nickelodeon announced that it had green-lit the Instant Mom pilot. Tia Mowry-Hardrict, Duane Martin, Sheryl Lee Ralph, Sydney Park, Tylen Williams, and Damarr Calhoun were cast on November 26, 2012. Michael Boatman would later replace Duane Martin. It was announced on April 3, 2013, that Instant Mom was officially picked up for a 13-episode first season to air on NickMom in late 2013. Later on August 19, 2013, Nickelodeon ordered 7 additional episodes bringing the series' first season to 20 episodes. On November 22, 2013, 6 additional episodes were added first season. Despite previously being announced that the series would air on NickMom, it was shifted to premiere episodes on Nick at Nite, presumably due to the former's ubiquitous distribution and NickMom's establishment struggles. It continued to premiere new episodes the same night on NickMom until the block was ended on September 28, 2015, becoming the only series to air through the majority of the block's run without being cancelled. Filming took place at Paramount Studios in Hollywood, California. The series aired 65 episodes over three seasons, premiering on September 29, 2013, and ending on December 19, 2015.
Awards and nominations
|2014||20th Annual NAMIC Vision Awards||Comedy||Won|
|2015||21st Annual NAMIC Vision Awards||Comedy||Nominated|