Volunteer Hostels is a social business that works to build a more equitable society through responsible tourism.
Based on a qualified volunteering model we team up with our Foundation (FEM: which has been working with afro and indigenous communities in Cartagena for 7 years) to provide technical capacity to the communities who need it the most.
We offer a nice, clean, safe, comfortable and meaningful accommodation experience in a privileged location inside the walled city.
Four things make us unique:
1. Real Social Impact: By staying with us, conscious travelers like you contribute to the financial sustainability of FEM (25% of income and 12% of the hostel's profit are used to support FEM's operation and projects' expansion).
2. Location: Our privileged location in San Diego neighborhood, in the heart of the mystical walled city, allows you to be safe and at a walking distance to every spot in the city.
3. Facilities: Every room is equipped with comfortable beds, A/C, free WiFi and a locker or closet to store your belongings. We currently have:
o 2 shared rooms: where you will meet new friends to explore the city with. One of them accommodates 7 people and has a private bathroom. The other one accommodates 8 people and still has the original walls from 400 years ago, which gives it a magic atmosphere.
o 2 private rooms: where you will enjoy a calm and quiet ambiance with your couple or a friend.
4. Everything you need in the same place:
• Meet: Share a beer with new friends on our patio’s parasols, read a book on our hammocks or have a free coffee on our social room while you meet fellow travelers and volunteers.
• Have fun: Take one of our non-conventional Insider Tours that will allow you to merge with the authentic local culture and explore the unseen Cartagena (#RutaChampetúa, #EnTuSalsa, #DrumSafari, #BazurtoMarketAdventure, #RutaZenú, among others)
• Taste: Cook your meals and store your food at our ample kitchen or delight yourself with caribbean or vegetarian food in one of our neighbor restaurants (conveniently located on our street).
• Shop: Buy one of our local-made souvenirs to support the communities we work with.
• Work: Check your e-mail, attend that Skype call and get your work done at our calm and fresh (A/C equipped) co-working space
• Get involved: Meet FEM’s staff and volunteers! We’ll be glad to show you what we do so you can get involved or spread the word.
Policies & Conditions:
• Check in: from 14:00 to 00:00
• Check out: before 12:00
• Payment upon arrival by cash.
• Taxes included.
• Cancellation policy: 24 hours before arrival.
• Breakfast not included.
• Child friendly.
• Reception available 24 hours