Winston P. Stromberg
Winston Stromberg is an associate in the Los Angeles office of Latham & Watkins, whose practice focuses on obtaining and defending land use entitlements and environmental approvals for major real estate development, energy, and infrastructure projects.
Mr. Stromberg advises clients and litigates controversial matters involving planning and zoning regulations and related environmental issues, as well as state and federal land use and environmental laws.
Mr. Stromberg’s clients include private developers, corporations, land owners, institutions, and non-profit organizations. He has helped clients obtain and defend approvals for numerous projects across California, including film and TV studios and theme parks, desalination facilities and related infrastructure, mixed-use and multi-family developments, hotels, master planned communities, private schools, and power plants and other industrial projects.
Mr. Stromberg has substantial experience handling matters involving the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA), the Coastal Act, the Subdivision Map Act, air quality and water quality laws, “Prop. 65,” as well as local planning, zoning, and historic preservation laws. Mr. Stromberg advises clients in various industries throughout California regarding land use entitlements and approvals from local and state agencies. He also has significant experience negotiating easement, construction and other agreements for development projects. In addition, he practices in the field of charter school law, advising on and litigating facilities-related issues for charter school membership organizations and schools.
Mr. Stromberg is a member of the Executive Committee of the Los Angeles County Bar Association's Environmental Law section, the Programs Committee of the Urban Land Institute Los Angeles, and the Board of Governors of the Valley Economic Alliance.
- Co-author, “California Coastal Commission Further Solidifies Enforcement Powers,” Client Alert, August 22, 2014
- Co-author, “Proposition 65 ‘Reform’: Consumer Protection or Litigation Stimulation,” Client Alert, April 22, 2014
- Co-author, “Future Conditions Properly Considered,” Daily Journal, August 9, 2013
Recent Speaking Engagements
- LACBA Environmental Law Section, The CEQA Guidelines: Proposed Amendments and the Potential Impact on Environmental Review, December 3, 2015
- LSI, Land Use Planning in California, “Climate Change and Water: Too Much in the Ocean and Not Enough Fresh Water Available for Use,” June 24, 2015
- LSI, California Environmental Quality Act, California Emissions Estimator Model (CalEEMod) and Other New Air Emissions Tools, October 6, 2014